What should you do and how can we help you?
I know firsthand the deep impact this disorder can have on a woman's physical and mental health. Many patients feel desperate when they first come to us.
Below are just some of the ways we approach women who visit us:
- We take the time to listen and understand the unique concerns and issues of each woman. Not everyone experiences things in the same way.
- We inform patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome about the disorder. Many women with polycystic ovaries do not understand what causes their symptoms and may feel disappointed and confused. By providing them with clear and accurate information, we can help them better understand what is happening to them and make more informed decisions about their health.
- We treat the physical symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome with lifestyle changes, such as weight loss and healthy eating, as well as medication like birth control pills and metformin, where needed. Treating the physical symptoms offers both immediate and indirect improvement of psychological symptoms.
- We encourage women to communicate openly and honestly with their partner about the effects of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome on relationships and sexual disposition. Share your thoughts and feelings and be prepared to listen to your partner's opinion.
- We understand that it is not solely the responsibility of gynecologists to help patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. A mental health counselor specializing in supporting women living with chronic conditions can be extremely helpful in managing psychological and emotional issues that arise.
Thomas R Berni and others, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Is Associated With Adverse Mental Health and Neurodevelopmental Outcomes, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 103, Issue 6, June 2018, Pages 2116–2125, https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2017-02667
Blay SL, Aguiar JV, Passos IC. Polycystic ovary syndrome and mental disorders: a systematic review and exploratory meta-analysis. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2016;12:2895-2903